The company was established in 1857 and started trading in Norfolk under the name of F.R. Hipperson & Son Ltd. In 1924 it moved office to Broad Street Place, London, and also opened a purpose-built joinery works and plant hire depot in Dagenham, Essex.
In 1952 the company built a new office block on land that it owned; adjacent to the joinery works in Dagenham and transferred its head office from London to this new building.
The company was taken over by Greenbrook Industries plc in 1966 and its head office moved to Oxford but continued to trade throughout the UK as Hipperson Builders plc.
A successful management buy-out took place in 1994 with ownership and full control of the company passed to the current Executive Directors. The head office moved to Canterbury, Kent, with other regional offices established around the UK.
Towards the end of the 20th century the company’s specialist departments of building conservation and small works together with mechanical and electrical were established as a stand alone company and now trade as Hipperson Builders (M&E) Ltd undertaking building and civil engineering works and Hipperson (M&E) Ltd working for a small number of long-established clients undertaking a variety of electrical and mechanical projects.